23 on 23 June 2015

(1) I woke up on Monday to receive my first birthday wish of the year from my youngest cousin who lives in Singapore and whom I have not seen since I left for the UK. Thing is, she actually remembers my birthday :) even though we have lost contact for so long, I know that she still cares about me enough to remember, and that's what matters most.

Dear Josephine,

If you ever read this blogpost, know that I miss you very very much and I care for you deeply so if ever you have anything that you want to share with me, I will always be here for you.

Love,
Melody jiejie

(2) The second person to wish me is my lova, the person who I always enjoy spending time with whether it is in KL or London :)

Lova Jerlynn,

You always make time for me when I want to meet up or talk or go for some event or outing, and I always have you and our other lova in my thoughts whenever I see Jerry ;) Thank you 

Love,
your lova

(3) The first to give me a birthday call is from my best guy friend ever. He was sick and coughing so badly that several times I asked him to put down the phone, drink water and sleep but he was determined to wish me a proper happy birthday before he was willing to put the phone down and rest.

Dear ไป•่ฃ,

You have been through almost everything with me I think, my happy moments, which is 90% of my time actually LOLLL but you were also there when I was in my bitch mode, which is actually quite often == (sorry) and you were also there when I was down in the dumps, to cheer me up again so thank you for always being there for me

Love,
Melody

(4) Persons not person ;) They don't even call now because they are so into social media sometimes I can't take it >< LOL

Dear mum and dad, 

Thank you for being my brick, my wall, my support whenever I felt it was me against the world, you have always stood by my side and by my decisions even though I know most times you just want to strangle me for my often rash and insane actions.

Love you both,
Melody

(5) This was a shock/surprise coz I was thinkin' why is my colleague calling me in the middle of the night??? Hahahaha but she just wanted to wish me too :)

Dear Pei,

It has been so fast, working with you for 4 months, and now I'm leaving and we won't see much of each other for awhile. But I really want to thank you for sharing a lot of the work we have to do in the office, and driving me around on the motorbike, and cooking for me and generally looking out for me :) It's been a privilege working with you and I hope we will remain good friends :)

Love,
Melody

(6) One of the closest friends I have, and definitely ONE of the oldest, if not THE oldest, LOL XD

Dear Elucia,

I really don't know what else to say really. You've always been there. Ever since we were 6, you were there beside me, going through school together until we finally separated after form 5 and took different paths. But we remained close, and I think us moving closer to each other and being neighbours now have made us closer than ever. You have seen me laugh, cry, shout in rage, pain, anger and humiliation, and through it all you have always stood by my side so I thank you for everything :) including the birthday song I finally understood when I reread the Whatsapp message ;)

Love,
Melody

And then she posted this on Instagram and on her wall, which echoes so much of what I think of her too :')


Hari Birth | One of the friends that allows me to be my weirdest self and not judge me for it. One that will always be there despite the distance. And one that sticks by you through thick and thin. There's so much more, Mel, but I guess I'll save it for next time (not in this Instagram post๐Ÿ˜œ). We've been through crazy times, growing up wasn't easy, but I'm glad to have you by my side. smile emoticon thanks for everything, Mel (especially for the past few weeks). Have a blessed Birthday and I'll see you VERY soon! ๐Ÿ˜Š 

This just shows how much our friendship has endure and will continue to grow stronger as time passes :')

(7) This made me tear up :') This was the girl whom I was so close to that at one point when she moved away and we lost contact for almost 5 years I hung on to the turtle that she gave me and never let it out of my sight.

Dear Aleen,

If you only knew how much that phonecall meant to me, the first time I heard your voice in 5 years when I recognized it immediately but did not dare to believe it because it was simply too good to be true. Every year when you call on my birthday I remember that day and I weep in gratitude that you stepped back into my life and came back to me. I love you so very much.

Love,
Melody

(8) My best Malay guy friend, because he is just so sweet :)

Dear Adha,

When I asked you to remind me when it was the fasting period, I did not expect you to be so sweet as to note down the sahur times in Penang, the times to break fast, and even check on me at 5am in the morning to see if I'd eaten. Thank you for being so sweet :)

Love,
Melody

(9) My sis from another mother ;)

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for being there when I needed it most, especially this morning when I woke up from a nightmare. I just really needed someone to calm me down and you were right there for me even though you had an exam too. Thanks for being the sister I never had :)

Love,
Your sis 

10 days later, I received my one and only birthday card for this year :')



This just shows how well she understands how much I love receiving post, and a birthday card to boot :) Thank you sis :) Even though it arrived late, receiving it was the best feeling ever :)

(10) None other than my beloved cousin :)

Dear Qing,

Even though you are two years younger than me, sometimes I feel like you're the older one, looking out for me and making sure I keep out of trouble,that's why I made you my person to contact if I ever get arrested during a protest ;) hahahaha thanks for loving me as both friend and family :)

Love,
Your cousin

(11) This was a very pleasant surprise, for I certainly did not expect him to wish me after such a long silence.

Dear Foo,

I know that even though we may have gone our separate ways since we came back from the UK and have not been in as close contact as we did before, we will still be able to talk and joke like the old days whenever we meet coz that's just how at ease we are with each other. Thanks for the wish.

Love,
Melody

(12) I woke up to receive love from New Zealand :)

Dear Hanna jiejie, Charis and family,

Thanks for being family :)

Love,
Melody

(13) Then my Indians made their move ;) hahahahaha

Dear Nivea, Vino, Kavita and Rubaa,

Seriously rombe nandri for being the best Indian housemates I ever had. Whenever I wanted to have a serious heart to heart talk I knew Nivea would be there for me; whenever I needed to talk about me constantly missing the UK and Europe, I have Vino to share my sentiments; whenever I needed to get into a lively argument, I had Kavita to keep me entertained; these gujlis are irreplaceable :)

Missing you girls like crazy,
Melody

(14) I got a surprise from my dear kai lui :)

Dear Jian Wen,

You had your exams coming up but you decided to spend the afternoon with me just chillin' at Starbucks in Borders in Queensbay even though I was fasting and you couldn't treat me my own birthday cake LOL but I hope you understand that really meant a lot to me because it just feels so good to have company on your birthday :)

Love you lots,
Your dear kai teh

(15) Then I spent the most wonderful evening with a bunch of girls I have come to love and respect even in the few short months we worked together: my colleagues

Dear Jana, Pei and Zoha,

I cannot express how much I appreciate you all making time to celebrate my birthday for me :)
Thank you Jana for picking this stubborn kid up from the bus stop to go buy my own slice of cake and water for me to break fast. Thank you Pei for cooking such a lovely organic dinner and understanding that I'd completely fallen in love with Antarabangsa and that it was the perfect place for us to hang out with a couple of beers. Thank you Zoha for going all the way with us. You three are the only reason I feel sorry I quit the organization. I will return, just to see all of you again.

Love,
Melody




(16) During dinner I got a birthday Snapchat from Australia :)

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for remembering and telling me to go out and drink LOLLL XD Because that was exactly what we did XD

Love.
Melody

(17) Also got a birthday Snapchat from the only law degree mate who remembered

Dear Hoay Ying,

I'm so glad we are good friends. I did not fully appreciate how far Butterworth was from Penang and what you had to do to drive over and take me out for dinner and go back home in the thunderstorm after the other night. Thanks for always being my minion buddy :)

Me Ti Amo,
Melody

5 days later, at the Penang General Hospital, even at her grandfather's deathbed, she still cared enough to remember to bring me my birthday present: a complete set of minions from McDonald's :')

Complete minions McDonald's Collection Set

And so I was able to own both complete sets thanks to her :') I cannot imagine what she had to do to acquire two full sets: hers and one for myself. But it is definitely one of the most memorable birthday gifts I have ever received :)

Complete sets of  Despicable Me minions from McDonald's

(18) When I came home completely wasted with blood pounding in my ears and head, I still had the wherewithal to reply one of my best mates for her wish to me :)

Dear blue chicken Vinci,

Your wish was much appreciated. Even though we both are busy with our separate lives right now we still manage to keep up a decent friendship with one another through the love of books, Harry Potter and of course our love for each other ;) hahahaha I know it's cheesy but yeah we do try so hard to keep each other in contact and that's what I appreciate the most :)

Love ya nanny goat,
Melody

(19) Waking up in the middle of the night because of the sudden beeping of my phone made me smile when I saw your messages :)

Dear Fong,

To be honest, I thought you'd be the first, LOL, or maybe the last (I do remember both this instances happening in the past) But even though you were late this time, (I'm counting by Malaysia time already HMPH!!!) what I really just wanted was you to wish me and you did, so all is forgiven and I only want my postcards from everywhere you went now ;) hahahaha

You know I love you.
Melody

And to my happy surprise, I have really been receiving postcards from everywhere she's  been. I can usually count on receiving one postcard every week or so. Photos are not here but I have dedicated another blog specially to keep track of all the snail mail I have received so if you're interested you can check out the blog here.

(20) Receiving a call at 3.30am in the morning was nothing short of crazy XD

Dear Maryam,

Even though you didn't even know it was my birthday XD The fact that you called just for a moment to catch up, talk, and laugh about life in the UK, I am still very happy that you did, even though it was freakin' 4am when we finished talking LOL Can't wait to see you when you're back :)

Love,

Melody

(21) Waking up with a hangover the next day wasn't too bad when you get a message from a long lost friend whom you never expected should remember your birthday. But he did :)

Dear Aaron,

Thank you for remembering. Really thought back to the days when we first met and I had that schoolgirl crush on you just coz you looked like ๅดๅฐŠ XD HAHAHAHAHA
Seriously, thank you :)

Love,
Melody

(22) Also, receiving messages from your cousin's friends who are now also your friends, are really quite sweet :)

Dear Charly and Jared.

Thank you both so much for your wishes. It makes me feel so thankful every time I get to spend time talking and laughing with you guys all because my cousin introduced you all to me :)

Love,
Melody

(23) Finally, a birthday post I saw when I logged into Facebook today :)

My dear Lenglui,

It's true you know, we may lose track of each other in our daily lives, in different countries, hanging out with different people doing different things, but we will always find each other in the end :)
Thank you for being my UK people :)

Love,
Your dear kai teh

So I guess that's the final one I'll give special thanks to on my 23rd birthday. There are others who did, but for me these 23 meant the most to me this year and I am so grateful that they are all still in my life, one way or another.

Comments

Popular Posts