Singapore April 2019

So once again, I seized the opportunity to visit Singapore, this time under the pretense of representing the Malaysian Bar to play chess in the Malaysia-Singapore Bar Games ;) jokes aside, I enjoyed meeting up with the Singapore lawyers as well as make new friends during the match :)

But the ball really started rolling when I met up with Karl and Yanyan for lunch :) These two had already planned separately to bring me to this piece of Italian heaven in Singapore, but when I found out, they were both willing to sacrifice their personal time with me so that we could all have the meal together so that I could sample more items on the menu. 

Mushroom pizza at Nustro Cucino


They accommodated my stupid alcoholic craving. My demands for a glass of red was not met with a firm no but acquiesced without delay. The full bodied red wine complimented the home made cheese at Nustro Cucino so well I cannot even begin to describe the wonder I had swirling the soft chewy fresh cheese as it melted in my mouth, along with a slow sip of the red wine, mixing with the cheese and giving it that accentuated flavour one can only understand having had both together. 

After the exquisite lunch, Karl decided to take me to one of his favourite bookstores in Singapore, and I have to say it was a rare gem indeed :) I loved the cosy interior, the decor, and the range of books, devoting a huge part of it to the local literary scene. 



As we meandered down the aisles out of the door and into the street, I couldn't help but compare it to Malaysia, why in Malaysia we daren't walk down back alleys, why in Malaysia the stench of sewage permeates and clogs our nostrils, why in Malaysia we cannot achieve what Singapore has achieved: narrow but welcoming back alleys where trash bins are well covered so people can walk through at all times of the day without fearing for their safety and health.

Anyway I digress. We emerged to find a rather touristy but apparently one of the best croissant cafes in Singapore! Croissant was flaky and good. Original is well recommended, it was warm and buttery perfection. I personally didn't fancy the chocolate one too much but that's just me.



Dinner was ramen with a very strong pork broth XD it was good but I think I really had too much food the entire day XD enjoyed the company even  more :)


I was treated to an enchanting performance by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra which performed seamlessly the most moving violin concerto I've ever had the privilege of listening in my 25 years. Violin virtuoso Stefan Jackiw's technique was so masterful that the music flowed like liquid. It was so smooth the high notes of the violin keened with a sadness that tugged at your heartstrings and was a delight to listen and watch. Running down the stairs of the Esplanade to get his autograph and to have a picture taken with him was well worth it too XD



Love is when he takes your coat home for you so that you can have one less thing to carry going to the pub ;')

The world's largest gin bar was well worth the wait. For a non gin fan, the whiskey and cocktail selection sufficed and proved to be the best whiskey cocktail I've ever tasted in Malaysia and Singapore. The artist with its tinge of choya was so good the sourish sweetness of the choya left a pleasant sweet tingle in your mouth accentuated by the whiskey. The whiskey with banana liqueur was a pleasant surprise as well for a person who was skeptical that something sweet could go so well with whiskey. And the 18 year whiskey at home, drunk from small champagne glasses, lying on the bed, playing a slow game of chess, wound down the evening pleasantly.



These two boys have been nothing but love to me. From ensuring that every meal I had was succinctly provided for, to accommodating me in their hearth and home, to ensuring that my limited time in Singapore was fully utilized to utter perfection: eating TONS, (and I literally mean TONS) of good food, meeting up with all of the people I wanted to meet, and ensuring that I had an enjoyable and as comfortable a time as one ever could, anyplace in Singapore.

Love is when you didn't have to ask and they tell you to go enjoy your time with your friends and they will bring your luggage to you to the airport later in the evening so that they can send me off.  Love is accommodating my stupidly full schedule so that I can meet all the friends I wanted to meet in the short time span that I had. Love is planning my two days for me to utter perfection. Love is making friends with my friends. I seriously cannot ask for more. I am so so blessed to have them in my life.

Karwai, myself & Karl :)

Credits to Karluis Quek :)

Comments

Popular Posts