A Rainbow of Hope for Cameron Highlands

Today on the 12th of November 2014 my article about the destruction of Cameron Highlands came out in the Star paper. 

This article could not have come about without several very important people in my life. This is why I dedicate this article and this blog post to them for without them, I would not have been the person I am today.

First of all, for all the encouragement and support you both have given me to continue writing, about my travel experiences, about social issues, of anything in general, thank you, mum and dad, for everything.

Secondly, I want to give thanks to three REACH members especially for being my mentors and for sharing all their knowledge and experience with me regarding our ongoing and continuous fight for a better Cameron Highlands: Aunty Carrol, Dr Liau, and Dr Cheam. 

Thirdly, I want to dedicate this article to all the people of Cameron Highlands. I believe that I am voicing out for most of the locals who do realize that in the long run, if nothing is done, it is we who are going to suffer.

Finally I have to thank Elucia Yong for being the person who initially inspired me to write this article,  as it was a conversation I had with her which led to the birth of this article. Thank you for always being a true friend to me :)

The article in the paper is almost 99% true to my first draft, the only difference being replacing my first paragraph of the conversation between me and Elucia to a general overview of the current situation in Cameron Highlands. I understand the replacement even though it was made without me being informed.

Here is the original text, with photos I took myself of the places and sights described, using my HTC One XL Smartphone.

“You wouldn’t recognize it, Melody. It’s all gone now.”

“What? What happened to it? Tell me.”

“You have to come back and see for yourself.”

And I did. After being away from home for a year pursuing my final year law degree in the UK, finally, I had come home.

On first glance, it seemed that nothing had changed since the past year. Locals rushed about town going through the motions of their daily lives, tourists jam up the streets as usual during the weekends, students still hang out in the only place they could – Starbucks – all  in all life goes on.

Not knowing anything to be amiss, I continued the whole charade of meeting up  with family and friends whom I have not seen since a year ago and it was on one of these meet ups in which I realized that the Cameron Highlands I left a year ago has changed. And not for the better either.

My friends and I decided to make a day trip to the Sungai Palas BOH Tea Plantation and it was with much chatter and laughter as we made the trip into the tea plantation and I remember marveling at my friend’s driving skill as she maneuvered the car smoothly on the extremely winding road despite having a faulty horn.

On the way, I looked out of the windows admiring the outside scenery flashing past when I suddenly exclaimed loudly:” What happened to the valley???” For it was barely a year ago when across from the (originally Equatorial) hotel), a valley sloped steeply downwards into tropical rainforest and I remember distinctly a particular tree in which a resident eagle used to roost there every day.

The eagle's tree amidst barren land
Now, the valley has been completely filled up and I could see heavy machinery and workmen going about flattening the land for presumably building purposes. The tree still stands there, a lonely outpost amidst barren land. I do not see the eagle.

A monstrous complex now stands smack in the middle of agricultural farmland. I avert my gaze and look straight ahead as my friend drives steadily towards our destination.

A few days later, I decided to take a stroll around town. It had been raining continuously for several days, the rain sheeting down relentlessly, only giving an hour or two’s respite in a day. I couldn’t take the bleakness of the gloomy weather anymore; it reminded me too much of dull grey depressing days in the UK; and immediately strode out for a walk when I saw the bright gleam of sunlight through the window.

As I strolled about aimlessly, I finally realized that my feet were taking me to, of all places, the public library, and I wondered if I could get Jodi Picoult’s Vanishing Acts there. I walked up to the main entrance and was surprised to see the door tightly shut. I checked my watch. It showed 5.15pm and I smiled apologetically to myself, making a mental promise to return someday during working hours, I turned around to leave and lo and behold, a beautiful 7 color arch stopped me in my steps.

A rainbow in the sky :)
I stood gawking at the beautiful rainbow for a few seconds before realizing that I was standing in the middle of the road and a man had just walked past me giving me a baleful glare. I smiled at him, but he turned away and continued walking up the slope into the woods which were nearby and I just can’t help thinking about the millions of people everyday who are so wrapped up in their own self-pity, anger, hate, and troubles that they forget to enjoy the simple things in life: stepping into a wet soccer field after the rain and smelling the grass and rain, waking up early in the morning to catch a glimpse of the sunrise before going to work or class, strolling along the beach admiring the sunset, walking into a small nature clearing and just stand there and breathe for a few moments, walking out into the garden at night after the heat of the sun is long gone to admire the moonlight, exclaiming in breathless wonder at the sight of a beautiful rainbow in the sky.

I stepped back and laughed at myself for having these thoughts, began to walk contentedly back home, my footsteps lighter than it had been on the journey here. I decided to take a shortcut back instead of using the main street so I cut through the back of the food court in the centre of Tanah Rata town and stopped dead in my tracks again.

The riverbanks blocked by sheets of aluminium with colourful shophouses as a backdrop
It wasn’t a pretty sight: behind the sheets of aluminum blocking the view of pedestrians and motorists, the banks of the river were gouged as if by giant bird talons, the soil running into the river, which was a sick muddy yellow; a blemish on the otherwise innocently picturesque looking town centre which can be seen above the aluminum sheets.

Silently, I walked home. Cameron Highlands has indeed changed. More land is being cleared by the day, to make way for more agricultural and tourism purposes. Many of the natural sites and trails are ill maintained, overlooked by greedy eyes which sought for riches to be gained elsewhere.

The Cameron Highlands of my childhood has long since disappeared, but at the very least, I have hope. I hope that this is the lowest point that Cameron will ever hit and now gradually we will slowly yet steadily start climbing up again. I hope that the children of Cameron Highlands will one day have the childhood memories I had: of running through fields barefooted, catching beetles of all sizes, shapes and colors, of splashing in the icy crystal clear pools in the nature reserve, of wrapping up warm watching TV indoors while it is cold, misty and raining outside.

After the rain, there will be sun, and maybe even a rainbow. 


The link above is the article published in the Star Online.

I will end with a favourite quote of mine which I think reflects my feelings entirely about the attitude of the people and the authorities in Cameron Highlands who  have still not done anything worthwhile to save Cameron Highlands and who are infinitely leading it to its destruction.


Comments

Popular Posts