Darkest Night in Winter

It's 2am here in the UK and 10am in Malaysia...
8 hours difference.
14 hour flight home.

Where is home?
They say home is where the heart is.
And now my heart is in Malaysia...

Scrolling down the news feeds on Facebook
Bittersweet feelings arise
Photos of friends 'lou sang'-ing
The happy smiles on their faces
Says it all.

New Year wishes and greetings are exchanged
Until it grows repetitive
And the feelings that have been repressed all this while bursts forth

Tears start falling
Realization hits.
I'm not home.

Types a quick inbox message to a close friend
:(
It's enough
I know she'll understand
Immediately logs off Facebook.

所谓
在家靠父母,出外靠朋友

She replies
But it isn't enough
The encouragement to think of it
as a once in a lifetime experience
doesn't work..

A Whatsapp message comes through
Another close friend
She doesn't sense it though
The muted call asking her to stay
Stay and keep me company awhile..

Finally
What made the tears stop
Is non other than family

You see
What they say is true
No matter where you are
No matter what you do
Family is always there for you

Dedicated to my favourite cousin
Gabriel Woon Sze Qing :)
Thanks for being the one who cheered me up
In this moment of darkness
I saw the light

2.59am 30 Jan 2014

Comments

Popular Posts