Magical Moments with family and friends

It was my fault. I was cocky as usual. Thinking I'd be able to catch the bus to Subang with no trouble whatsoever. Boy was I wrong. Waited long enough at the bus stop before realizing that I didn't remember the number of the buses which go to Subang. Still, being the arrogant kiasu person that I am, I did not ask for anyone's help. I was much too egoistic for that. So, after being humiliated several times by stepping onto buses which do not follow that route and being reprimanded by the drivers, I finally learnt my lesson and humbly made a phonecall to a friend.

Sure enough, just as she told me the number of the buses heading to Subang, one just just passing by, and I managed to hail it and got aboard. Reaching Sunway Pyramid, my first aim was to meet my long time buddy and to text my brother to meet me at Popular bookstore. I glimpsed a girl pacing just outside Popular and instantly recognized her despite her lacking her usual glasses. We hugged. It's been almost a year and a half since I last saw her and I really missed her.

We started discussing about the latest events regarding the recent general election and its aftermath as we waited for my brother. When he confirmed that he couldn't join us this time round, we immediately took off to the bus station to head back to KL Central. Along the way, we updated each other on our lives and generally had a good time poking fun at each other. I had fun pointing out certain landmarks on our journey despite me not really knowing where we were at certain times.

Arriving at Brickfields, I couldn't resist pulling one more joke on her, asking her if she knew where my college was situated. The look on her face when she saw my college at the top of Public Back was priceless. I got a punch in the arm for that. But no regrets! When my other friends finally arrived at KL Central, we hurried to KLCC for our much anticipated Harry Potter soundtrack orchestral performance by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra at the Dewan Filharmonik Petronas.
The Music of Harry Potter poster

It was simply magical. When the first notes of Hedwig's Theme tinkled forth, tears brimmed into my eyes. It was the culmination of everything: from the precise notes of the song, the memories of reading the Harry Potter books in my childhood, the memories of watching Daniel Radcliffe portraying Harry Potter on the silver screen for the first time, the arrival of Albus Dumbledore presented by the affable Doug McKeag.

Doug McKeag as Albus Dumbledore
As Dumbledore took us on a magical journey through Hogwarts with Harry, Ron and Hermione, we listened, with fond memories, of Daniel Radcliffe when he was just a boy, acting as Harry in the first movie: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone; was highly entertained when Aragog bursted forth from his cave; (the toy spider was cool!) felt the wind in our faces when we sailed in the clear blue sky on Buckbeak the hippogriff; felt the tremors in the ground with the arrival of Victor Krum and the Durmstrang students; went for a roller-coaster ride on the Knight Bus with Stan Shunpike and Ernie; and ended with a sharp pang of sadness when Dumbledore passed away.

All too soon, the performance was at an end, and we trudged out of the hall excitedly recounting the wonderful journey we went through. After a few photos were taken for memory's sake, we had lunch and went our separate ways.

I decided to check out the 24th International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre along with my parents and Vinci. When we arrived, they were closing, so we only glimpsed a few interesting models such as an electric bicycle, a machine which could convert waste water into consumable water in 5 steps, a dual-steering wheel driving school vehicle (for safety purposes), and a recycling bin which gives cash in return for aluminium cans.

Vinci creating her masterpiece :)
But all these contraptions and knickknacks were no match for the one object which caught both our eyes. A huge screen which boasted a special software for creative art purposes caught our attention and held us in front of it for about half an hour as we created our masterpiece. The software allows for extremely user-friendly, we could use many styles of painting, including crayoning, and the effects were good! There was a calligraphic writing option which gave us a lot of fun as the writing which came out of it looked simply artistic.

We ended up with our masterpiece: a caricature of William Shakespeare looking into a mirror and realizing that deep down, he was a woman on the inside, and he had an internal struggle questioning himself to go through a sex change operation or not. But jokes aside, Vinci's Shakespeare was much admired, and I admired my calligraphic writing. After taking a few photos, we left the exhibition for a quick stop at Cold Storage so I could get a cold drink.


Our masterpiece: Shakespeare's Soliloquy ;)

 While I was intent on getting my root beer (an Australian brand, A&W no longer tastes the same as what it did in my childhood) Vinci spied an interesting venture in Cold Storage where there were self-heating cans of soup being sold! While this is now new, this was by a Malaysian company and it felt good to know that Malaysia is not as behind in technology as thought. (By the way, Vinci reminded me of the exothermic chemical process which is the reason why the can will be able to 'self-heat'.)

We walked out to the park, me with a huge grin and a bottle of root beer in one hand, Vinci staring intently ahead at the beautiful rainbow materializing before us. God did seem to smile upon us that day.

Rainbow in the fountain (pic taken by Vinci Poh)

After that we visited the Galeri Petronas for another exhibition on The Art of Architecture by Foster + Partners. Words failed Vinci when she saw the miniature people on each replica of actual buildings created by Foster and partners. I was impressed by the amount of detail that was replicated on each model, the painstaking effort and thought that was put into each project was staggering to even comprehend.

The Art of Architecture by Fosters + Partners

The Art of Architecture by Fosters + Partners

After we had examined each and every single replica carefully admiring the intricate details, artwork and even interior design, for some buildings, it was time to say goodbye. I gave Vinci a big hug before sending her off at the LRT station, knowing that it could be some time before we met again.

Mini Swiss rolls from RT
As I passed by RT Pastry House en route to meeting my parents so I could return to Cameron Highlands with them, I picked up a nice selection of tiny Swiss rolls as a Mother's Day + Dad's Birthday treat. I had to rush home and immediately stuff them in the refrigerator when we finally arrived in Cameron Highlands after a 5 hour long bus ride but it was worth it. The miniature Swiss rolls looked nice arranged in a circle and they tasted good too! I especially liked the Honeydew flavored one. I am glad I decided to return to Cameron Highlands to spend time with my parents even though it was a spontaneous, sudden decision. No regrets. I might not be able to celebrate with the both of them next year as I should be studying in the UK then if all goes well, thus this celebration was very important to me. Though wherever I may be, you will always be in my heart. Happy Mother's Day mum.

Happy Mother's Day mum <3 :)




Comments

Popular Posts